Skip to main content

End of an Era

Two years as roommates, three years in nyc, two years of foster care work in Brooklyn, and countless struggles and blessings later.....It's the end of an era.

Blogging about the transition rather than simply stating it's over may help me settle the idea in my heart. It's hard to believe that I no longer live in nyc. Almost harder to believe that I know live in DC. It's natural to have difficulties when all of your time has been caught in a whirl wind......work, work, work has been my life. I am turning over a leaf and making myself part of the equation....which is difficult and strange all at once. I am still too close to the whole thing to see my new adventure developing but I have made it to the stage where reality has set in. I am here, nyc is there, and such is life.

Our last picture as roommates. Saying goodbye I almost lost it...all the love came flooding forward. It was the end of an era. We had a great run, Jules! I guess it's time for us both to take our shows on the road.



I will miss having Reggie (my favorite doorman) there to say hello after a long 12 hour day of dramarama. Miss you, my friend!
Reggie shed a tear and said, "Take me with you, my friend." Aww, Reggie. If only!



Peace out, apartment in Midtown. Man it was so hot the day I left...my hair is a lovely ball of frizz. What a blessing it was to live in the heart of nyc, in the center of the universe. I hope the new people won't take that blessing for granted.



On the road. I tried to get the Welcome to Virginia sign, but I was not Johnny-on-the-spot quick enough. My thought when I saw this sign was..."Here I go. Come what may and love it."



I am staying with some amazing friends who were out of town when I got home. They were so kind to leave a special welcome for me.



I didn't take any pictures of my moving man and wonderful friend, David. There are a zillion pics of him on here and facebook though, so it is what it is. He was so kind to come up from DC, pack me up and drive me to my new home. As you can tell, I am still in a daze about the whole thing, so you can only imagine me on moving day. I was trying to pretend it wasn't happening, so taking pictures of him driving the Uhaul van were out of the question. Haha

Do I miss nyc? Oh yes! Do I know this move is the right step for me? Double yes! Am I still freaking out trying to find my purpose here and to settle in, not as much, so yay! Maybe if I change my city on facebook it will help. A wise friend told me that she only loved her new Burberry bag once she cut the tag. Maybe the same logic will translate ;).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yay for Juicing

Many of you know that I packed on about 25 pounds of pudge during my cancer treatment last year. It was so discouraging as I had already worked so hard to lose about 70 pounds. Stinkin' cancer. Not enough to threaten my life, gotta pack on the pudge too?! When I was home with my family over Christmas my Dear Friend told me about this movie on netflix, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." I can't tell you how much the title resonated with me. The movie touts the benefits of juicing, (not to be confused with steroid use...haha), vegetable juicing. I figured it would be a good idea to try it. I had juiced veggies during chemotherapy at the suggestion of someone who beat Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer....but honestly, could not stomach the thought of it for awhile after chemo. Fast forward 2 months since I started my "Reboot" and I am down a glorious 25 pounds. First of all, I feel like I have found my secret weapon. Second of all, yes! 25 pounds! Woot woot! ...

Long hair...to be or not to be?

I am reaching out for your opinion. That's right, you! My hair has reached that awkward stage of the grow out...you know the one, girls. When it's not quite long, but not quite short. It's the time when most of us girls will just say, 'ah, forget it...I'm cutting it again.' So I thought I'd show pics of a really cute short cut, and kinda nice long one and ask what you think. This is a recent pic of me with my short hair. Cute, right? This is me not too long before I moved to New York. I think I will have bangs this time though..and more layers because my hair LOVES to curl in the New York humidity. So, take a second and let me know what you think. Should I keep it short, or let it grow out?

I got a J-O-B

Sunshine all around, folks. I got a J-O-B! Yesterday I accepted an offer from NY Foundling, a large social service agency in New York City. I will be in their foster care division in Brooklyn doing case management, court advocacy, investigations and parent/foster care family work. I am very excited! The agency is solid and the position will allow me to use my skills and grow as a professional. So, you guessed it, I am a real live social worker! Finally! Thank you to all of you who cheered for me, prayed for me, and kept me on track when I got discouraged. We did it!